FOURTH LESSON: SENTENCE AND CONNECTORS

Hello and welcome to a new lesson, today we are going to study sentence and connectors.

First, let's start with some sentences.

COMPOUND SENTENCE:  A compound sentence joins two or more independent clauses. These are  joined together by a coordinating conjunction. ( FANBOYS)

There are 7 coordinating conjunctions.


EXAMPLE: Maria did not found dark chocolate, so she bought white chocolate. 

COMPLEX SENTENCES:  A complex sentence joins an independent clause and one or more dependent clauses. The sentences go together joined by a punctuation mark ,connector, or a subordinating conjunction.

Some of the most common subordinating conjunctions are:


As you can there are many subordinating, so I search for two songs about them, to help you memorize these conjunctions.

SONG #1 :  https://youtu.be/FK2Gyto5gTQ
SONG #2: https://youtu.be/bJssyHxVmCc

EXAMPLE: Alice cooked without vegetable oil because her sister is allergic to it.

COMPLEX SENTENCES : A complex sentence is made up of an independent clause and one or more dependent clauses connected to it. The dependent clause starts with a subordinating conjunction. 

EXAMPLE: While Annie was at the gym her friends were in a party.

IF the conjunction is at the beginning of the sentence, do not place a comma between the clauses, but if the dependent clause goes first, you must place a comma.

Now, it is important to know what is a fragment, because some people think that a fragment could be a sentence, but that's no true.

WHAT IS A FRAGMENT?

A fragment is when a dependent clause is use in isolation.

EXAMPLE:  When I was younger.

By the way, it is indispensable to know some common mistakes that people do when they write a sentence.

RUN-ON SENTENCE: It is when two complete sentences are not joined by a coordinating conjunction or any punctuation mark.

EXAMPLE: I love baking chocolate cake sometimes I put too much chocolate.

SOLUTION: I love baking chocolate cake, but sometimes I put too much chocolate.

COMMA SPLICE: It is when two independent clauses are joined with a comma instead of a conjunction. This means that the comma is useless here.

EXAMPLE:  I love  swimming, I do not feel my legs.

SOLUTION: I love swimming until I do not feel my legs.


I hope you learn a lot today, Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.







Comentarios